5 And A Beagle

"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." John Lennon

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

It Was the Best of Times, It Was the Worst of Times - The Tale of Two Clocks 

Three mornings per week, #5 and I (and the beagle) wake up early so that #5 can get to school for an early morning practice. Early morning practices are something we’re used to around here at 5 and a Beagle because for 12 years, #3 played minor hockey. Nothing says lovin’ like a cold ice rink in the early morning. #5’s early morning practice doesn’t involve freezing your backside off, but it involves getting up well before sunrise none the less.

Last night before crawling under the blankets at 10:30, I diligently set my alarm for a 5:45 wake up call. When the alarm went off I felt completely thrown off. It seemed impossible that this was the first time I’d woken since having fallen asleep, because a normal night’s sleep involves me waking at least twice between 3 and 5-ish. How could I have slept straight through and yet not feel somewhat refreshed as a result?

After two swats at the snooze button, I rolled out of bed at 6:05. Before heading into the shower, I went into #5’s room and gave her the “10 minute warning”. After a quick shower, it was into #4’s room to get the dog up for his morning routine. Usually Miles is scratching at the bedroom door as soon as he hears me up and about, but this morning he was buried under the blankets and seemed somewhat put out that I had dared to lift them and disturb his slumber. Never the less I shoved him outside, fed and watered him and went back in to wake #5 again.

I was in no mood to listen to her pleas for ‘5 more minutes’ and while I began to lecture her (as only a mother who has had to get up early for someone else’s commitment can do) about responsibility, commitment, blah, blah, blah, she looks at her cell phone and questions “why does my phone say 4:35?” at almost the exact moment a grumpy, groggy #2 hollers out from his bedroom “Why are there lights on? Why are you two arguing at 4:30 in the morning?!”

Down into the kitchen I go to find the stove and microwave declaring it to be 4:37! Back into the bedroom again to find that my bedside alarm clock is stupidly displaying 6:37.

Turning out the lights so #2 can go back to sleep, I go into #5’s room and in my best Emily Litella, declare “Never mind. Go back to sleep.”

Great – 4:30 in the morning, freshly showered and WIDE AWAKE. What the heck do you do with two hours to spare? Well, after getting a bit of ironing done – fun times – I sat down and tried to make sense of this and this with these.



I’ll be double checking the time on the clock before I roll into bed tonight!


A lovely package of goodies came in the mail earlier this week from Karen of Karen Squared. I'd signed up for Pay it Forward on Karen's blog last year. I obviously misread the instructions because here I am almost a year late, doing my part and putting the word out to anyone interested in carrying on this 'exchange'.

The PIF pledge:

I'll send a handmade gift to the first 3 people who leave a comment on my blog requesting to join this 'Pay It Forward' exchange. I don’t know what that gift will be yet and you'll likely not receive it tomorrow or next week, but you'll receive it within 365 days, that is my promise! The only thing you have to do in return is pay it forward by making the same promise.

So if there are any regulars, lurkers, or newbies....come on down and sign up!



|

[Top]

eXTReMe Tracker Subscribe with Bloglines