5 And A Beagle

"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." John Lennon

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Pearl-McPhees of Wisdom 

On Mother's Day, I received the gift of sleeping in. I had a wonderful breakfast prepared by the kids, a picture of flowers drawn by my youngest, a gift certificate from the LYS and a copy of "At Knits End". It was a nice relaxing day with a visit to my in-laws in the afternoon and dinner at my parents in the evening.

I've discovered that one of the fringe benefits of having a teen with a learners permit is they are always willing to drive somewhere. Yesterday, I had to make a run to the bank and my son volunteered to be the chauffeur.

I had the book in the car and so I tossed it to him to flip through while he waited for me to do the banking . I suggested he read some of the quotations, hoping that he might settle upon something like pg. 48. "Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace." Albert Schweitzer. A little pearl of wisdom that would apply to his relationship with his (in his mind) annoying little sister. Or how about pg. 91 or pg.99 to reinforce us telling him of the benefits of going beyond the comfort zone? "The man who goes farthest is generally the one who is willing to do and dare." Dale Carnegie "One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do." Henry Ford.

When I got back to the car, he had his quote of choice marked. "This is what I've been trying to tell you guys all along." he said with a sly smile on his face. The quote that caught his eye - pg. 73. "If the minimum wasn't acceptable, it wouldn't be called the minimum" George Muncaster.





|

[Top]

eXTReMe Tracker Subscribe with Bloglines