5 And A Beagle

"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." John Lennon

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Tagged for a Book Meme 

I've been tagged by Nurse Ratchett's Alter Ego (isn't that a weird sentence)
for a book meme.

She was my backtack recipient, and I believe I'm still anonymous to her - not sure. Go check her blog out, she writes great posts.

Total books owned, ever: Hard to say. I've got 3 large book shelves downstairs, each of the kid's rooms has a bookshelf, there are boxes in the attic... I couldn't begin to count. But the frugal part of me is trying to make use of the library more often.

Last book I bought: The Kite Runner. It was on my book club's reading list and I couldn't get it out of the library so I relented and bought a used copy on ebay.

Five books that mean a lot to me:

1. Kristin Lavransdatter - Sigrid Undset
I first read this book when I was in my late teens. I enjoyed it, but from the perspective of a 19 year old, I didn't appreciate the depth of Kristin's joys and sorrows. When I re-read it some 20 + years later, I saw everything differently. It is a story that takes place in 14th century Scandinavia, but at its heart it could be about a woman from any century. It is a very detailed novel that can be difficult to fall into, especially at the beginning, but if you give it the time it is well worth it. There were a few parts in the story that made me cry, not something a novel has done for me before. Most especially was the time when Kristin's father and mother were remembering their youth, their love for each other and realizing that their time together was coming to a close. The writing of Ms. Undset is so rich and powerful.

2. The Women's Room - Marilyn French
Another book I read in my late teens early 20's. This book made me realize what I did and didn't want for my future. Not so sure I was totally successful, but I guess if I were to look at things on a scale, the 'did wants' would tip the scale in favour over the 'didn't wants'.

3. The Life and Death of Ivan Ilyich - Leo Tolstoy
I only just recently read this book. Like Kristin Lavransdatter, Life and Death is also a timeless story. It teaches us the reader, to make the most of the time we have and to live a life that has purpose and meaning, a life that is real. There are more important things is ones life than chasing possessions or positions of importance and what a tragedy to realize that upon ones dying, when it's too late to change.

4. Neither Here nor There - Bill Bryson
On a lighter note.... I love Bill Bryson's humour. I've read many of his books and always have a good laugh. We took this book along on our family trip to Europe a few years back. My son read it during the long train rides between cities and at the point in our travels that we had a car, he and I would take turns reading passages out loud to pass the time on the road. It was a great way to keep the youngest happy when she was getting to that "Are we there yet?" stage. It was a great source of laughter for us during that trip.

5. Love You Forever - Robert Munsch
This is a beautiful story told in a child's picture book. I think it's probably a staple at many baby showers now. I first read it to my son 17 years ago. Did I say a book had never made me cry before Kristin Lavransdatter? I was wrong. I definitely got teary eyed when I first read this one. It is a wonderful story that shows the unconditional love of a parent for their child and vice versa. I think I should dig it out and read it to #1 son again. Tell him to watch outside his dorm window for a crazy women with a ladder strapped to her car. Mind you, I'm sure I'll see him often enough with a bag full of dirty laundry strapped to his car.

There you go ... now I'm not going to tag anyone in particular, but feel free if you read this blog, to take the questions and answer them on your blogs.



|

[Top]

eXTReMe Tracker Subscribe with Bloglines